Removes those extra-tempting but extra-problematic buttons from tinyMCE, like font color, alignment, and other things that will wreck your style sheet.
In addition, it removes “Heading 1” from the role dropdown, as there should never be more than one H1 on a page — and the page or post title is already it.
Why Does Formatting Matter?
When people first get their hands on that shiny WordPress text editor, they often get swept up in the excitement of styling their text. “This is important, so I’ll make it red! And this part will be centered, and this part will use giant letters!”
But as fun as this is, there’s a way to use the WordPress text composer like a pro, and the benefits of doing it in that way are big:
- Better potential rankings on search engines (Search Engine Optimization)
- A consistent look across your whole website and other materials (research shows that visual consistency leads to trust)
- Better flexibility across different devices, from desktops to mobile phones
- Better accessibility for readers with a wide range of disabilities.
- Better maintainability when it comes to future site updates — that means savings!
- What’s the secret sauce that provides all these benefits?
Mark your text with what it is, not what it should look like.
What does that mean?
It means that your website already has a style guide built into it, so that it knows that a subtitle looks a certain way — perhaps it is larger, bold, or a different color than the main text. So when you type in a subtitle, you only need to let WordPress know that it’s a subtitle, and the rest will be taken care of. Do not give in to the temptation to mark the subtitle text as bold, larger, centered or a different color from the WordPress editor.
This plugin removes the most damaging buttons from the WordPress editor, so you (or your clients) won’t be tempted to use them.
For more information on how to use the WordPress editor like a pro, with or without this plugin, and why formatting matters to brand consistency, SEO, accessibility and even maintainability, check out this blog post: http://www.pixelovely.com/format-web-content-wordpress
Show your appreciation for this plugin
If I’ve helped you, please consider buying me a slice of pizza to fuel my coding .
- Download the zip file, and unzip it.
- Upload the entire folder (remove-problematic-formatting-options-from-tinymce) to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- You are done!
Contributors & Developers
“Remove Problematic Formatting Options From tinyMCE” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Changed “tested up to” to WP 5.6
- Changed “tested up to” to WP 5.4.2
- Added better plugin description.
- Added installation instructions.
- Changed “tested up to” to WP 4.2
- Removed underline button, since it creates confusion with clickable links, and moreover inserts inline styles which are a huge no-no.
- Changed “tested up to” to WP 4.0
- Plugin first released! I would very much appreciate it if you remembered to rate the plugin after trying it.