This plugin shows the current day’s scripture readings and fasting rule from the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America. To show the daily readings and fasting rule, you simply paste the following shortcode on whatever page you want to display the content.
The plugin automatically retrieves new content from the Antiochian Archdiocese once a day so it is always up to date.
Click here to see a live demo.
If you want more fine-grained control, you can choose to display only specific things by changing the argument to the “content”
attribute in the shortcode. The allowable arguments are:
* “all”: show all the content
* “date”: show only the date
* “fasting”: show only the fasting rule text
* “readings”: show only the scripture readings with titles
For instance, if you want to only show the date and the fasting rule, you can put the following two shortcodes on your page:
[daily-bible-readings content="date"] [daily-bible-readings content="fasting"]
Initially, the readings only show short snippets of the reading text. Clicking “Read More” dynamically reveals the rest of the text without loading a new page.
Note: this plugin relies on the following 3rd party web services from the Antiochian Archdiocese:
Upload the “daily-bible-readings” folder to your WordPress plugins directory located at
Next you need to activate the plugin as follows:
1. Open your WordPress dashboard.
2. Click on “Plugins” in the dashboard sidebar.
3. Click the “Activate” link under the “Daily Bible Readings” plugin title.
Why Am I Seeing Readings for the Wrong Date?
Make sure your timezone is set correctly in your WordPress settings. The plugin updates the readings at 12:05 am (near midnight) local time in whatever time zone you have selected in the settings.
Where Can I Submit Bugs or Feature Requests?
You can tell the author about bugs or feature requests here.
Can I See The Code?
Yes! This is an open-source project hosted on GitHub here.
Contributors & Developers
“Daily Bible Readings” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
- Fixed bug where the “Read more” functionality wasn’t working
Added explicit reference to 3rd party API in readme.
- Fixed bug where the readings might not update when the date changes
- Corrected plugin URI
- Added change log (CHANGELOG.md)
- Split up classes into different files